These little cupcakes are not the sort of thing you’d find at a children’s party – with their double chocolate hit, they’re richly chocolatey with a delicious cream cheese frosting that provides a tangy contrast to the sweetness of the cake.
Samuel Smith’s Organic Chocolate Stout has a delicious, smooth and creamy character, with inviting deep flavours and a delightful finish – it’s is the perfect marriage of satisfying stout and luxurious chocolate.
- 180g / 6 oz unsweetened cocoa, plus more for dusting finished cupcakes
- 500g /16 fl oz sugar
- 500g / 16fl oz all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch fine salt
- 1 bottle Samuel Smith’s Organic Chocolate Stout
- 113g / 4 oz butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 360ml /6 fl oz sour cream
- 1 (8-ounce/ 250g) package cream cheese, softened at room temperature
- 360ml / 6fl oz double cream
- 1 lb icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 180C / 350 F / Gas4.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together the cocoa, sugar, flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In another medium mixing bowl, combine the stout, melted butter, and vanilla. Beat in the eggs, one at time. Mix in the sour cream until the mixture is thoroughly combined and smooth. Gradually mix the dry ingredients into the wet mixture.
- Lightly grease 24 muffin tins. Using paper muffin cups, divide the batter equally between the cups, filling each 3/4 full. Bake for about 12 minutes and then rotate the pans. Bake for another 12 to 13 minutes until the cakes are risen, nicely domed, and set in the middle but still soft and tender. Cool before turning out.
- To make the icing: In a medium bowl with a hand mixer, beat the cream cheese on medium speed until it’s light and fluffy. Gradually beat in the double cream. On a low speed, slowly mix in the confectioners’ sugar until incorporated and smooth. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use. The icing can be made several hours ahead and kept covered and chilled.
- Top each cupcake with a heap of frosting and dust with cocoa to serve.