The creaminess of this classic Moules Marinière dish is balanced by the addition of Samuel Smith’s Organic Cider, creating a deliciously aromatic dish. Our cider is made with organically grown apples, is medium dry with a light body and a clean apple flavour and a gentle apple blossom finish.
- 900g/1lb 15oz live mussels
- small knob of butter
- 8 spring onions, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 250ml /9fl oz cider
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 150ml /5fl oz single cream
- A big handful of flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- crusty bread, to serve
- Wash the mussels in a colander to remove any dirt and grit. Pick through them, removing any beards from the shells. If any of the mussels are slightly open, tap them on the work surface to see if they close (which means they are still alive) and discard any that remain open.
- Melt the butter in a large heavy-based saucepan. Sauté the spring onions and garlic over a high heat for 1 minute before pouring in the Samuel Smith’s Organic Cider.
- Add the thyme and the mussels, cover and cook for 3-4 mins or until the mussels start to open.
- Add the cream, season and stir in the parsley.
- Divide the mussels between bowls.
Pour over the sauce and any spring onions left in the pan. Serve with crusty bread.