A lovely creamy, cheesy and hearty soup with a full flavour, this soup is enhanced by the use of Samuel Smith’s Organic Pale Ale, a beer with a full, rounded flavour and aftertaste. Our Organic Pale Ale is brewed using well water (dating from 1758, the original well at the Old Brewery is still in use and the hard well water is drawn from 85 feet underground); best barley malt, yeast and aromatic hops; and then fermented in ‘stone Yorkshire squares’.
- 150g / 6oz unsalted butter
- 200g / 7oz all-purpose flour
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 1litre / 1 3/4 pints vegetable stock
- 225ml (8 fluid ounces) Samuel Smiths Organic Pale Ale
- 225 ml whole milk
- 3 heads roasted garlic
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1.1 kg / 2 1/4 pounds white Cheddar cheese, grated
- Freshly ground white pepper
- Chopped fresh chives, to garnish
- To roast the garlic: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Remove the top 1/2 cm from the three heads to expose the individual cloves of garlic. Place the heads cut side up on a large sheet of aluminium foil. Drizzle the olive oil over the garlic and season with a sprinkling of salt and pepper. Gather the foil up around the garlic, folding and twisting the top to seal.
- Roast for 1 hour, then let the garlic cool completely and remove the skin.
- Melt 100g of the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour, whisking briskly to avoid lumps. Cook, stirring frequently, until the flour takes on a light blond colour, about 5 minutes. Remove rom the heat.
- Melt the remaining butter in a large soup pot over medium heat. Stir in the onion and minced garlic and cook just until the garlic is aromatic, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add the vegetable stock, ale, and milk. When the liquid begins to simmer, stir in the garlic, paprika, and cumin. Blend until smooth then whisk in the flour mixture. Add the cheese a handful at a time, whisking after each handful, until the cheese melted and the soup is smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately, garnishing with a sprinkling of chives.