Samuel Smith’s Taddy Porter transforms the traditional Welsh Rarebit, creating a very tasty and full bodied dish. Our Taddy Porter is a very dark beer, made with malted barley, cane sugar, roasted malt, yeast and hops and brewed using well water from our 1758 well and fermented in stone Yorkshire squares. It’s fairly full in body and packed with flavour with the intense, dry tangy character of roasted barley.
- 240ml /8 1/2oz Taddy Porter
- 240ml/ 8 1/2 oz double cream
- 250g / 9 oz extra mature cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Eight 1/2-inch-thick slices of whole-grain country bread, toasted
- Preheat the grill. In a small saucepan, boil the stout over high heat until reduced to about 1/2 original amount, about 4 minutes.
- Add the cream and boil until reduced by half, about 4 minutes. Scrape into a bowl and let cool to room temperature.
- Stir in the cheddar, egg yolks, Worcestershire sauce and dry mustard and season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange the toasts on a large rimmed baking sheet.
- Spread the toasts with a 1/4-inch-thick layer of the cheddar mixture. Grill 4 inches from the heat for about 2 minutes, until the topping is bubbling and browned around the edges. Serve immediately.